Covid-19 Update

Covid-19 Update
15 March 2020

I wanted to take the time to write a statement concerning our response to the Coronavirus pandemic.

The government issued a statement on Thursday, whereby the UK’s official response was moved into the ‘delay’ phase. At the time of announcement, this did not extend to restricting mass gatherings nor school closures. However, the situation is so fluid, that in the days following, organisations and governing bodies have taken their own steps to introduce measures to protect public health. As such, Premier League, EFL, National League and WSL games are all postponed until April 3rd, at the earliest. This morning’s press coverage suggests that the coming week will see stricter restrictions on public gatherings and additional measures to protect the elderly being brought about.

The situation is unprecedented and changing on a daily basis. We understand that our Premier 1 family will be experiencing uncertainty and maybe even fear about the disruption to routine brought about by potential school closures and what happens to the rest of their footballing seasons. We also understand that the children and young adults that we coach may well be anxious about what is going on in the broader sense. With this in mind and for the benefit of continuity for our ’keepers, I have made the decision to keep Premier 1’s sessions open and ongoing for as long as it is reasonable and safe to do so. We believe it is important to do what we can to preserve a corner of normality amongst the uncertainty. We have based this decision on the best advice and information available to us at the current time and feel that our sessions are small enough to monitor and minimise potential risk. We will continue to review this day-by-day over the coming weeks and months, in line with ongoing developments and inform you of any changes.

Our response does require that our ‘family’ play their part, in line with the current best practice. In order to minimise the risk to public health, the advice is to self-isolate for a period of seven days if a member of the community has a new and continuous cough and / or a high temperature. This includes children, parents and anyone within your household. We need you to let us know at the earliest opportunity if you develop potential symptoms or are self-isolating as precautionary measure, before, after or between any sessions you attend or would usually attend. This allows us to inform other parents and stay vigilant. It goes without saying that any block-booking will be held until a full family recovery is made.

I am aware that some of you may still prefer to keep your child away during this time and appreciate and respect your decision to do what you feel is best for your family. If you have block-booked and wish to wait until this has passed, then I will honour the booking you have and slide the remainder of the block to a time when you will be coming back weekly. To be clear, this doesn’t allow people to drop in and out from week to week.

The decisions we make at Premier 1 always place the welfare and development of our ’keepers first and foremost. I wish you all the greatest of health and, as always, in time of isolation, please know that I am always here to listen or help in any way I can.

Warmest regards,

Share this Post